Wheelchair users are at high risk of developing secondary conditions because they typically sit for extended periods of time. These secondary conditions can significantly diminish their quality of life. The advantages of placing disabled individuals into a standing position include increasing bone mass, strengthening muscles, furthering respiration, and enhancing development of the hip socket.
The upright position also improves a person’s viewing area and enhances feeling of well-being. Weight bearing is an essential tool for injured and / or post-surgery patients when developing and strengthening the hip joints. Standing can:
- Decrease joint contractures
- Improve cardiopulmonary function
- Improve digestion
- Increase alertness
- Increase bone density
- Increase bone growth
Stationary, mobile and active Standing Systems are proven and medically necessary for the treatment of individuals who are non-ambulatory and who meet the following criteria:
Standing Frame Equipment
The individual using Standing Frame Equipment has the capacity for at least partial independence in one or more of the following activities of daily living in a home setting:
- Personal hygiene
There is a goal of prevention of one or more of the following medical complications:
- Compromised Bowel and Bladder Function: Demonstration an incomplete emptying of bladder or constipation refractory to other medical treatment.
- Contracture Development: High potential for progressive contracture formation including but not limited to post-operative release of contractures.
- Decubitus Ulcer: Need for off-loading of a decubitus ulcer which cannot be accomplished by other means.
- Hip Dislocation: Hip subluxation and dislocation is worsening, and alternate treatments have not been successful.
- Osteoporosis: Improvement or stabilization of bone density cannot be achieved with other treatment or activities.
- Pulmonary Complications: Demonstration of recurrent infections and poor clearance of pulmonary secretions despite the use of other medical treatment.
The key benefits with use of Standing Frame Equipment include:
- Healthy bone maintenance
- Leg muscle stretching
- Spasticity reduction
- Improved internal organ functions
- Improved posture
- Range of Motion (ROM) improvement
People who use Standing Frame Equipment improve their self-esteem, self-confidence and overall improved quality of life. Without use of this equipment, patients medical conditions as identified above, are more potentially vulnerable to body deterioration. The human body requires activity in order to either maintain or improve strength.